Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dark Chocolate Jumble Cookies (With Whole Wheat)



My daughter was begging for chocolate chip cookies today. I thought it might be fun to try some made with only whole wheat flour. We pulled out the wheat grinder and threw together these yummy cookies in a very short time. They were a hit! I'll definitely make them again.

You'll need:

1 cup softened butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar

(Yeah, okay I never said they were health food...)

2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups whole oats, blended in the blender (measurement BEFORE blended.)
1 cup extra dark chocolate chips (with at least 60% cocoa.) My new favorite.

1/2 cup chopped almonds
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup shredded coconut

and next time I'm going to add 1 teaspoon almond extract. I think it's a secret ingredient for perfect cookies, but I forgot this time.


Cream together butter, eggs, and sugars. Sift together dry ingredients and combine it all together. Stir in chips, nuts, and coconut at the end. And remember the almond extract. You can thank me later.

Here's the dough. And you can just stop right there if you aren't opposed to consuming raw eggs, because the cookie dough is always superior to the cookies. And this dough doesn't disappoint.


Make the cookie balls small because these babies can really grow.
I shape them and flatten slightly.

Bake at 375 degrees for eleven and a half minutes. Well, if you have my oven.
Somewhere between 10 and 12 minutes should do the trick.


I'm at a high altitude that makes it difficult for trying new cookie recipes, and this one did just fine. They are a *tiny* bit crumbly, but plenty chewy and nearly a perfect texture. Especially for not having ANY white flour. Give them a try!

2 comments:

The Beautiful Life Story said...

Wonderful about your food. I'm sure it very delicous. Thanks very much.

Katerina said...

i love chocolate. They look delicious! Thanks for following me, i follow you back!