Monday, March 15, 2010

Hamburger Roll-Ups

Or at least that's what we call them. Several summers ago, my mom was visiting family in Vermont so my older sister was trying to get creative with some ingredients for our dinner. She's an excellent cook and often gets inventive in the kitchen. She came up with these, and we all loved them. In fact, I loved them so much they've become a favorite with my own little family as well. I hope you all enjoy them too.

First, you make biscuits. My favorite biscuit recipe is Baking Powder Biscuits from an old Betty Crocker cookbook.
1/3 cup shortening (or softened butter)
1 3/4 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
(I often double this recipe, as these make for good leftovers)
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Cut shortening into flour, baking powder and salt with pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in just enough milk so dough leaves side of bowl and rounds up into a ball. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead lightly.


Filling:
1 lb. ground hamburger, browned and drained of fat. Add some onion and minced garlic and saute a bit with the hamburger.
Add some Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, salt, pepper (sometimes I use seasoned salt and sometimes some Steak Seasoning. It really just depends on your tastes. I don't really have an proportions, so I just suggest adding to taste.)
Optional: shredded carrots-cook in hamburger mixture until soft.
Roll dough out on cupboard, like you would with cinnamon rolls. Spread hamburger mixture onto dough, then sprinkle with either mozzarella, chedder or parmesan cheese. Depending on my mood depends on what I use, but my favorite is mozzarella or chedder, or a mix of both :)

Roll up, again, like you would a cinnamon roll and cut into 1-2 in. circles. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Top with your favorite white sauce or country gravy.



White Sauce:
I don't really have a recipe for this either, but it uses butter and flour and milk. melt the butter in a saucepan, then add enough flour that it makes a ball, then whisk in enough milk to make it smooth. Add a bit of salt and a bit of pepper and voila, you have your white sauce.



See, they even kind of look like cinnamon rolls, but believe me, these are far from sweet, although still quite savory.

1 comment:

kiddle97 said...

Mmm. If I don't make roasted potatoes and grilled chicken for dinner tonight (which I also didn't make last night) maybe I'll make these. Or maybe I'll make them tomorrow. I do love these, and the rest of the family actually does too! HURRAY!