Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Kumquat Oatmeal Bread

In my produce co-op basket this week I had a bunch of kumquats. "What are kumquats?," you ask. These are kumquats:



They are tiny little miniature citrus fruits with sweet rinds and sour centers. You can eat the whole thing, peel and all if you like sour fruit. They also have a seed in the middle. Most of the ones I opened had just one seed, but one had several.

Aren't they cute?

For this bread I used an oatmeal bread recipe and added some pureed kumquat with the seeds removed. And some cinnamon. I was pleasantly surprised at how yummy it turned out. The first loaf is already gone. The kids can't get enough.

I realize that most people don't have kumquats on hand, but I'm certain you could substitute about any citrus fruit and get roughly the same effect.

Here is the recipe:

Mix together and let sit 5 minutes:
2 cups hot water
1 Tb. yeast
1/4 cup brown sugar

In mixer or bread machine dump the remaining ingredients:

5 cups all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons vital wheat glutin
1 Tablespoon dough enhancer
2 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal (not quick cooking)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup kumquat puree (or orange, or lemon)


Mix together with paddle attachment until well blended, then switch to bread hook and pour in yeast mixture. Mix on speed 2 until you get a nice smooth dough ball.


Cover for 1 hour and let it rise. Divide dough in half and knead lightly for 1-2 minutes by hand. Shape loaves and place in well greased loaf pans. Cover again and let rise for one more hour. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.


We really need to get some smell-o-vision for these blogs. It smells SO amazing. A new favorite for sure.

3 comments:

raveninthewolfden said...

OH my gosh.. that looks so great! I have no Kumquats though, where did you get yours from. Wish there was a market close to home.


Ariana.. thanks for putting the button up that I made for this blog! I hope everyone uses it!

Ariana said...

I love pretty much everything citrus. And even though I'm looking at that delicious sounding bread through the computer screen, I think I can almost smell it's goodness. I love all these breads you post. THanks!

Ariana said...

And Amber, you're welcome. Thanks for doing it.