Friday, March 5, 2010

Posole

I grew up in New Mexico. New Mexico is famous for green chilies. Famous like Idaho is famous for potatoes. To the locals, food is just not food without green chilies. All fast food restaurants - including McDonald's - carry a green chili cheeseburger on the menu. People even use green chilies as a pizza topping. It's good too. You should try it. I'm not really much of a hot and spicy kind of person, but the wonderful thing about green chili is you can have it hot or extremely mild. The flavor of mild green chili is really warm and yummy. One of my favorite green chili recipes is for Posole (you say it pa-sole-EEE) . It's actually a very traditional New Mexican Christmas soup. But, we like it any time of year. Especially during the winter.



1 Tbsp canola oil
2 lb pork loin roast, cut into 1" pieces
2 14.5 oz cans enchilada sauce (I use the green enchilada sauce)
2 15.5 oz cans white hominy, drained
1 onion, sliced
1/2 C green chilies, diced (or 2 4 oz cans will work too)
4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste (I always leave this out because I like it really mild)
2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp salt

Brown pork in canola oil in a skillet. Next, place the meat in a slow cooker. Add enchilada sauce, hominy, onions, chilies, garlic, cayenne pepper, and oregano. Pour in enough water to fill the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours. Stir in the cilantro and salt. Cook on low for 30 minutes more.

2 comments:

Ariana said...

My dad and Spencer both love Posole too. I don't know if I've ever actually had it. Now I can! Thanks for sharing.

raveninthewolfden said...

Yum.. being Spanish, I have eatin lots of Posole' .. do you like Menudo too? Pesole' is my favorite of the two.. thanks for sharing a recipe.. I haven't had this in ages! have to whip some up!